Skip to main content

All the Little Lights



by Jamie McGuire

Elliot Youngblood and Catherine Calhoun meet in their preteen years and become great friends. They spend the summer together going on walks while Elliot captures everything with his camera. Then something tragic happens to Catherine, Elliot has left without saying goodbye and without being there for her when she needs him the most.

Years later at the start of their senior year of high school Elliot returns. This time he is here to stay but he has to find a way to win back Catherine’s trust and heart. It is not an easy task as they don’t have as much in common anymore. Elliot is an all star athlete and Catherine spends all her time helping her mother with the bed and breakfast they now own. Not just that but Catherine has secrets that aren’t hers to share but are hers to keep.

After a local tragedy, Elliot becomes a suspect and Catherine has to decide if Elliot is worth risking it all for.

I really enjoyed this book. I went in to the book without reading the synopsis; all I knew was it was a YA, a thriller, and by an author I love. As I was reading I kept guessing what was going on (I was never right, by the way). The point of perspective changes between Elliot and Catherine so you get a really well rounded story. Throughout the book the characters deal with a lot besides what is happening in the main story line. Such as racism because Elliot is a POC (person of color), divorce, abuse - both mental and physical, bullying and mental health issues. I love that so many things can be tackled in one book without destroying the narrative. I cannot gush more about this story. After reading as many books as I have this year (almost 100) the book has to be truly amazing in order for me to rate it 5 stars. All the Little Lights has been on my mind since I finished it weeks ago. I find my self dreaming about it at night or thinking during the day about all the little details that are now clicking together and making more sense. As soon as I finished this book I immediately wanted to pick it back up and start it over.

Although this book is not like Jamie McGuire’s romance books, which she’s known most for, it is absolutely astonishing. Between this book and Red Hill, Jamie McGuire has proved she can write in a span of genres and flourish. 

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐





Reviewed by Nicole

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2018 End of Year Wrap Up

     So November and December were a bust for Book club. This tends to happen around holiday time because it is hard to gather such a large group when everyone is also dealing with extra family, cooking, cleaning, and all things dealing with presents. January will also be a no book club month because for some reason this year we all seem to need some down time after Christmas. We will resume book club meetings in February when we come together after reading Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty.     I thought we could start off the new year by talking about how last years reading goals went for us and what our reading goals look like this year. Sam : I read 38 books and my goal was 24! I didn't meet all my goals though because I didn't finish the read harder challenge and I also stopped keeping track of what I had read which is really disappointing. I'm really hoping to keep track of everything this coming year and finally finish the challenge! In 2017 I finished 9/2

April Meeting

For our April meeting, we met at a local sushi/hibachi restaurant and our book of the month was: Becoming by Michelle Obama “For every door that’s been opened to me, I’ve tried to open my door to others. And here is what I have to say, finally: Let’s invite one another in. Maybe then we can begin to fear less, to make fewer wrong assumptions, to let go of the biases and stereotypes that unnecessarily divide us. Maybe we can better embrace the ways we are the same. It’s not about being perfect. It’s not about where you get yourself in the end. There’s power in allowing yourself to be known and heard, in owning your unique story, in using your authentic voice. And there’s grace in being willing to know and hear others. This, for me, is how we become.” Rachel : ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Nicole :  ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ For our May meeting we will be reading: The Island of Sea Women by Lisa See Mi-ja and Young-sook, two girls living on the Korean island of Jeju, are best friends that come from

Folsom - August Meeting

   I know it has been a few months since we have updated but we decided to hit the restart button on bookclub. We were all falling into a slump of not reading and using our meetings as a hangout instead of as a book club. For our first meeting after this restart, it was Nicole's pick and she chose Folsom by Tarryn Fisher and Willow Aster.  The nation as we know it is a thing of the past. With the male species on the verge of extinction, a society called the End Men is formed to save the world. Folsom Donahue is one of twelve men whose sole purpose is to repopulate the Regions. The endless days spent having sex with strangers leaves Folsom with an emptiness no amount of women, money, or status can fill. Until Gwen. Gwen has wanted a child for as long as she can remember, but when she finally gets a chance to have her own, she uncovers a long hidden truth. The injustice she sees moves her to help save the men whom no one else believes need saving. A forbidden love,